THIS MAP INCLUDES BOTH ROAD CLOSURES. Please see your email for more information.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE ROAD CLOSURE INFO & OFFICIAL MAPS
Also, please limit the amount of perfume/cologne that you wear.
We are in a closed room, and some of our attendees have allergies. Thank you.
NTRWA & DARA
proudly present the Texas Two-Step 2019
with Damon Suede, award-winning author
Who: The event is open to everyone, although members of NTRWA and DARA receive a discounted admission. Any writer, regardless of genre, can benefit from this workshop.
What: The Texas Two-Step Conference featuring Damon Suede. Damon will present two, three-hour workshops: Characterization from 9am-noon, and Dialogue from 1-4 pm. These workshops have never before been presented in the Southwest.
When: Saturday, April 6, 2019. 9 am - 4 pm. Registration and coffee begins at 8:30 am.
Where: Grapevine Golf Course, 3800 Fairway Drive, Grapevine, Texas
Please note: Fairway Drive (aka the "dam" road) is closed to thru traffic, so there is no access to the Grapevine Golf Club from the south. If you're coming from the south or east of DFW Airport, you might need to access the site from the north (the Flower Mound side of the lake). A map with the detour can be found to the right.
How: When you finish the form, it will take you to our PayPal portal. You MUST complete the PayPal transaction for the registration to be submitted.
Cost: NTRWA and DARA members pay $40. WORD associated writers group members pay $60. All others pay $75.
- Two seminars by Damon Suede, Characterization (morning) and Dialogue (afternoon)
- Morning coffee bar
- Taco bar lunch (which can also accommodate vegetarians)
Hotel: We do not have a hotel with special conference rates. However, we are recommending the Marriott Courtyard Airport North/Irving.
Why: To improve your writing. To spend time with fellow writers. To learn something. To have fun. Why not?
Questions? Contact our conference chair at conference @ ntrwa.org. (delete the spaces)
Damon Suede grew up out-n-proud deep in the anus of right-wing America, and escaped as soon as it was legal. He has lived all over: Houston, New York, London, Prague. Along the way, he’s earned his crust as a model, a messenger, a promoter, a programmer, a sculptor, a singer, a stripper, a bookkeeper, a bartender, a techie, a teacher, a director... but writing has ever been his bread and butter. He has been happily partnered for over a decade with the most loving, handsome, shrewd, hilarious, noble man to walk this planet.
Addictions: sweetness that isn’t sentimental, wit that isn’t bitter, strength that isn’t cruel. Allergies: professional victims, half-assery, clichés. Damon is a proud member of the Romance Writers of America and currently serves on its national Board of Directors. He also served as the 2013 president for the Rainbow Romance Writers, RWA's LGBT romance chapter.
Though new to gay romance, Damon has been writing for print, stage, and screen for almost three decades, which is both more and less glamorous than you might imagine. He's won some awards, but his blessings are more numerous: his amazing friends, his demented family, his beautiful husband, his loyal fans, and his silly, stern, seductive Muse who keeps whispering in his ear, year after year.
DETOUR MAP # 1 -- FAIRWAY DRIVE
Fairway Drive (aka the "Dam" road) will NOT be open on April 6. Below is a map of the detour to the north entrance.
- The Texas Two Step is held at the Grapevine Golf Course on the north side of the road closure. This is different than the Cowboys Golf Club, which is on the south end of Fairway.
- If you are on FM2499 heading into Flower Mound, you will need to be in the left-hand lane to turn left to follow the detour onto Lakeside Village Pkwy (Silveron Blvd). However, the only sign for the detour is a small orange side on the right-hand side of the road. If you miss it, don’t worry. Keep going until you reach the light at Lakeside Parkway. There is a giant neon sign on the left that says “Lakeside.” Turn left and follow Lakeside Pkwy to the “end” where you will find the road closed sign.
- When you reach the north entrance of Fairway Drive, there is a “ROAD CLOSED” barricade for through traffic. But the lane is open to get to the Grapevine Golf Course.
DETOUR MAP # 2 -- SH121
We learned on April 4 that SH121 will be closed north of the airport, including the exit to FM2499.
(FYI -- This section of road was closed about a month ago, too. I had to go through this area twice that weekend. Traffic in the entire area around Grapevine Mills was a nightmare. It took me almost an hour to get through the mess on Saturday afternoon.)
- If you’re coming from the south on 121, plan to get on 635 East to go and make a u-turn at Royal Lane.
- When you get back to the service road on 121, you will need to go past FM2499 (the exit to FM2499 is also closed). The attached map from the city shows to get off at Sandy Lake (which will turn into Grapevine Mills Pkwy as you head west). You will then turn right on FM2499 (Corky’s will be on your left) and follow the directions above.
- HOWEVER, it might be easier to continue on 121 to the next exit, Freeport Pkwy. When you get off and head west, the road turns into Lakeside Pkwy, which will lead you directly to the venue.