Sign Up to Judge
Judging is the Ultimate Gift
The Great Expectations Contest relies on an amazing group of first round judges to give all our contest entrants valuable and supportive feedback. If you are a writer of romance or women's fiction and want to provide help and encouragement to your fellow writers, then we're looking for you!
- Receive entries approximately mid-to-late January
- Return entries when you're done, no later than February 23, 2020
- Sign up to judge 1 to 5 entries --you tell us on the form
- Choose the category and heat level you'd prefer --top three choices on the form
- Entries are no more than 5,000 words
- NO synopsis or blurbs
We ask contestants to define the HEAT level of their 5,000 word entry based on the following:
- Warm = Romance
- Medium = Tension and/or banter
- Hot = Sex
- EX Hot = All erotic romance references
- Any -- I'll judge any heat level.
The heat level should be based on the 5,000 words of their entry even if the rest of the book has a different level of tension, banter or sex. The judging form will ask you which heat level you feel comfortable judging. The form also asks which categories are your preference & which you do not want to judge.
Got a question? Ask our coordinator.
GE JUDGING TIPS
Here are the links to all the pages:
- WHY ARE YOU JUDGING?
- INTERNATIONAL WRITING DIFFERENCES
- LOGICAL ACTIONS
- POV SHIFTS
- WORD OVERUSE
- WRITING STYLES
- Judge Training 101-THE SCORE SHEET
- Judge Training 102-COMMENTS
- Judge Training 103-THE OPENING
- Judge Training 104-SETTING
- Judge Training 105-STYLE & TECHNICAL SECTION
- Judge Training 106-PLOT
- Judge Training 107-CHARACTERIZATION
We're always interested in articles about editing, how-to-write, constructive shortcuts or inspiration.
Please feel free to send suggestions to the GEcoordinator@NTRWA.org